Exceed Your Limits!

One Step and One Day at a Time!







Sunday, May 27, 2012

In An Instant - Life Changed Forever



In an instant, life changed forever.  I keep saying it over and over.  I am not sure what "instant" I am talking about.  Is it the instant my son took his last breath?  Is it the instant he fell asleep to never awake again?  Is it the instant I closed the door leaving him at daycare that morning as he cried?  Is it the instant that my poor husband had to tell me over the phone that Anderson had died?  Or, is it the instant I heard those words and fell to the floor screaming in the middle of my office?  Is it the instant I first saw his lifeless body?  Or maybe it is the instant I had to kiss his little head goodbye as they took him from me wrapped in a blanket?  I really don't know, I just know forever I am changed.  Somehow, some way, forever I will be a mother in mourning.  I don't see that EVER changing - I will forever mourn the loss of my little boy.

I could never predict how profoundly devastating this whole thing would be.  I just can't fathom the rest of my life remembering this sweet happy little boy who is no longer going to grow with us.  I keep hearing it will get easier and honestly, I just can't imagine it getting easier.  I can't imagine a day without a gut wrenching sadness in my inner core.  I can't imagine a day without tears.  It seems impossible, yet I do hope it is true.

I also could never predict just how grateful we would be for family and friends.  People have been so amazing, coming to our family's aid at this horrible time.  Meals, offers of help, and so many kind words have been a saving grace.

I honestly don't know what life holds for the future.  I am taking it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time.  I am learning a lot about life, loss, sadness, and priorities along the way.  We were told it will never be normal again - or more accurately, we just will need time to find a new normal.  I can't imagine liking any new normal.

There are things I have become amazingly grateful for along the way:

- My two children - they have been amazing, honest, loving, sad and the rock that has kept us going forward as a family.
- I am not alone.  It has been a rough few years for a variety of reasons.  I think if one listed some of the major adult traumas one could encounter I have experienced many of them.  I can't begin to explain.  Often it is so hard when the chips are down to feel alone - and many times I did.  This whole experience has shown me otherwise.  It is so difficult to explain, but so true.
- I have learned a lot these past 6 months that served me well.  Things impacting my life drove me to seek out help in a variety of forums these past 6 months.  The tools I have learned helped tremendously particularly in the first two weeks following Anderson's death.  Now if only I could continue to employ them.
- I let people help.  That has been something I have never been able to do easily.  In the past few weeks I have let people help, and at times it has saved us.

I don't know where I go from here.  There are plans for me to train to do a race as a memorial for Anderson.  I need to get off my butt and do something about it though.  I hope to make something positive come of all of this - just don't know where or what that is, in its entirety, yet. 

If you pass me on the street I will say I am ok, will smile even.  It is odd that it is strangers or mere acquaintances that seem to make me cry.  The random sales clerk that asks me if my three year old is my only child, the garden department manager making small talk that asks me about my garden project (with my sister's help, or perhaps just all her hard work, we have constructed a memorial garden for Anderson), or the stranger in my daughter's school office carrying an 18 month old boy in his jammies - those cause me to break down.  It is all so confusing, so gut wrenching, so agonizing - and I need to put this energy somewhere.

For now I really just wish I could pinpoint that "instant."

I miss you more than words can explain Bud-Bud.

5 comments:

Conde said...

Sending you love Lisa. Lots and Lots of love. Thank you for sharing this. Please don't stop...ever. ~ Conde

Anonymous said...

This brought me to tears reading this...as I cannot imagine as a Mother how you go on after the loss of a child. I know you will find your strength in family, friends in training and will make a difference in Andersons memory. Anderson is a special boy who will never be forgotten...ever! Anderson will forever be your guardian angel watching over his family to keep you safe. Anderson will make his mark in little ways to let you know he is there...to push you when you need a push..always by your side. ((hugs)) my friend...my thoughts are with you always!

Nikki

a not so lonely soul said...

Blogging is such a powerful tool. I hope this along with all the other things you are doing will help you heal. The process is long and painful but also a discovery of yourself and your capabilities.

Amber said...

Lisa, thanks for sharing. Your garden for Anderson is so amazing and such a tribute to your sweet boy.

If you need a quiet run buddy I'm happy to hit the trail with you.

Sherry said...

I hope you find blogging to be therapeutic in working through all the confusing feelings and thoughts. And while I know it doesn't seem right now that anything could ever possibly be "better," there will eventually be glimmers of sunshine. Hang on to that hope and remember that many people are holding you close in thought and doing all they can to honor your beautiful boy.